Sunday, February 07, 2010

Considering the Garden

Today of all days I started thinking about this year's garden. I am realizing two new things this time around. The Twin Cities have a shorter growing season than Chicago. Our deck gets minimal sunlight.

I've played around with the idea of putting a Roma tomato plant in a container near our front steps, which face south. Other ideas include lining the east side of the building with herbs and other veggies that can do without full sunlight. Our backyard is HUGE but all shade (great for parties and hanging out, not great for growing).

Also, this year I will learn to preserve food. Like canning. Here is a slideshow of inspiration.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It seems that most every time I use google to search for a recipe your blog turns up. I think we have vary similar eating habits and criteria for recipes. What sold me is the recipe for easy yogurt waffles. Nothing makes me happier than a good waffle on a Saturday morning. Today was the first day I actually read your blog. Usually I just grab the recipe and get to cooking. Your blog is such a delight. And welcome to Minnesota! My husband and I just purchased a home in Duluth. We love it here and hope you do to.
-Liz

Jess said...

Thanks Liz! My apologies for the delay in getting back to you... school is back in session, sadly I've not spend nearly enough time in the kitchen :)

I keep hearing wonderful things about Duluth, congratulations on your new home!