Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Spring Green

By the calendar, spring is already here. But this week...it actually is starting to feel like it, too.

Fortunately, our rented apartment has a deck facing southeast, and while I'd like to build raised beds for everything or big planters....I question exactly how much weight the structure will hold. For now, I have five gallon pots with broccoli and romaine lettuce (photo on the left). They've faired well in the freezing cold we've been having, and I've noticed that with this week's sunshine they've perked up even more.

The only things I seem to be able to grow properly from seed are tomatoes. The seedlings here (on the right) are sprouting in our loft's skylight, and are the Mexico Midget variety from Seed Savers (located in my nativeland of northeastern Iowa).

I made a simple soup tonight--sort of an “everything but the kitchen sink” variety. Lots of veggies (carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, cabbage), a little ham, some tiny soup pasta, and homemade chicken broth. Served with buttermilk biscuits...we ate it all. Spring, here we come!

No comments: